Julia Bobbin Header Image and Menu Past Projects Tutorials Celebrity Copy Cat Awards About Me

Saturday 3 December 2011

Minoru and Me



 After much anticipation and excitement, I got my mittens on a copy of the New Sewaholic pattern; the Minoru jacket! As soon as I heard about the pre-sale I purchased myself a copy and started dreaming up what it was going to look like. It seemed that every day a pattern tester's version of the minoru jacket was propping up on blogs looking lovely in cottons and wools, bright colours and neutrals. Seeing the chocolate box of minoru variations, my healthy excitement about the new pattern turned into obsessive stake outs by the post office, waiting for my copy of the pattern to arrive. The heart wants what the heart wants!

Finally it arrived! On the Wednesday afternoon the day before U.S. Thanksgiving, and boy did I give thanks! I'm one of a lucky few Australian's who get's American public holidays, so guess what I did all day Thanks giving, I sewed me a jacket!



As suspected, the instructions were easy to follow and flowed in a logical order. There was lots of new things for me with this pattern to get excited about. Things I hadn't tried before such as separating zips! From now on all my clothes will have separating zippers! (Disclaimer - this is said in the excitement of the moment and is very unlikely and impractical).




Elastic cuffs and an elastic waist! I've also never used elastic with sewing before and I love how the elastic band around the waist moves with you and gives you shape! Genius!



I used a gorgeous blue cotton poplin from Tessuti Fabrics for the shell of the jacket, and lined it with this awesome, and very dangerous looking skull and cross bones cotton fabric which I also purchased from Tessuti Fabrics Isn't it awesome!?!! It has shiny gold stuff in it! Some how glitter and skulls just work!



The talented Tasia from Sewaholic has thought of everything with this pattern, including a loop at the neck of jacket so you can hang it up, and pockets which you can see in the above photo. The pattern calls for an optional piece of velcro for fastening, but I used a cute little button instead that I found in my stash.

I used some chunky black zippers with gold teeth and I love how it looks with the blue of the coat and the gold lining.




My favourite part about this pattern has to be the sneaky hood! I call it sneaky, because it has a little zipper pouch in the neck where it can hide away as if there is no hood attached to neck! Amazing! If you're not in the mood for a hood, you just fold it up, tuck it in and zip! Magic!

Here's some pictures with the hood out:





And then ... tucked in ...




What hood I hear you say? Exactly! In fact, the folded up hood helps keep the collar nice and straight and firm. And how good does the zipper look! (Awesome up the nose shot too)

The adjustments that I made to this jacket were minimal. In fact, I didn't even make a muslin first! Shocking I know! I referred to the measurements on the back of the pattern and then decided to make a size smaller than recommended. I'm glad I did too. My jacket is made from cotton so it's not a winter jacket, I won't be wearing lots of layers underneath so I didn't need to give myself extra room. In fact it's Summer now in Melbourne, Australia. But Melbourne being famous for four seasons in one day, this jacket will be perfect for those cooler moments during this season.

I am short in the torso, and I'd read in some of Tasia's blog posts that she is a bit longer in the torso, so I decided I would shorten the bodice and arms by two centimetres and it was bang on!



I also lined the hood, which wasn't called for in the pattern, but with the lining this awesome how could I resist!



And that was it for adjustments! One of the best things about this jacket is other peoples response to finding out that I made it. Most people these days assume that I've made everything that I wear (which I guess it actually pretty accurate) but people were genuinely shocked that I put this thing together my self!  That's an indication of a great pattern; something that makes the garment look like it is complicated and couldn't possibly be made by anyone short of a genius, but is actually a well drafted pattern with clear and straight forward directions that yield a great results.

I have to say just one more thing that I love about this pattern and it's the shape. I have a full bust, but I'm more of a pear than an hour glass as my hips are always a billion (slight exaggeration) sizes bigger than my waist and shoulders. There was no size grading up or down for me on the bottom half, it just fit! Sigh of happiness.



I love my new jacket and I'm looking forward to the next addition of Sewaholic patterns!



23 comments:

  1. love the jacket! fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Blog ! Great pics ! Liz

    ruechichpieces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I've been trying to decide whether to make this or not - your version is making me very keen. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - fabulous jacket - it looks amazing - I love the blue and the lining and your photos are cute and gorgeous!!! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an awesome job! The finish is superb and I love your fabric choices. Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia - it definitely looks bought. You've done a fantastic job!!! I nearly purchased this 2 weeks ago, then forgot. Will definitely buy this now after your review!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks lovely ladies for your kind comments that always make my day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic jacket! The lining is awesome!
    I looove this pattern and want to make it again. But how many jackets can one have? I think I can make the raincoat version though :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. @verypurpleperson Thank you! That is high praise coming from you! Your version of the Minoru jacket is what got me into 'I have to make this NOW' frenzy. I'm also thinking about making it up with waterproof fabric. Just another excuse to use the pattern again. Thanks so much for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning jacket, love your fabric choices. I really need a raincoat, this pattern is very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rockin' hotness! What a great jacket. Love the blue and it's so wearable. I've just gotten my pattern so I'm excited about sewing this with the sew-along Tasia is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Sharon Thank you! Give it a go, you won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Dei Yes I think I might sew another one too and do the sew-a-long! Good luck with your jacket; can't wait to see it! Thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great jacket, the lining is fabulous! I've added this pattern to my 'must buy' list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I took the bait and the pattern has arrived so I am itching to get going. Can I ask where you got your zips from?

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Sharon Yay! How exciting! I got the zips from Clegs in their city store http://www.clegs.com.au/
    Good luck! Can't wait to see your version!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cannot stop checking this out.
    Love, Love, Love it, Ms Bobbin.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @GraciousMae
    Why thank you Miss Mae! You've made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am amazed!
    Looks very labor intensive though. Don't tell that you made it within one (Thanks giving) day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! This is awesome! I love it! Great color and nice job with your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow!! Your's is my favourite version of the Minoru yet. I love the blue. I bought the pattern in the pre-sale too and have yet to make it. Thanks for the powerful inspiration to get at it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been thinking of making this jacket for awhile now. I guess I am a tad late to jump on the bandwagon. Yours has to be my fave! I love the colour and the fit is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this, accordingly featured on Sassy Sewing Bees https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees ❀

    ReplyDelete